The US Standards Your New Furnace Should Meet for Efficiency

When you are in the market for a new furnace, you want to be sure that you are getting a unit that will meet all of the necessary standards. This means that the furnace will be safe to operate, energy-efficient, and durable. Here are some of the standards that a new furnace needs to meet.


The Department of Energy reviews its regulations every six years and allows for public comment during this period. A recent standard adopted by the department is to classify non-condensing technology and venting as a furnace feature, which will not be affected by energy conservation standards.


The condensation created by furnaces can damage the furnace itself and the home. This technology helps to regulate condensation and keeps the furnace running smoothly.


The Department of Energy is currently reviewing standards that would make furnaces up to 90% more efficient. This would result in better quality furnaces that are more energy-efficient. However, the standards are still being debated and have not been finalized yet.


The AFUE measures how much heat your furnace produces compared to the amount of fuel it uses. For example, if your furnace has an AFUE of 80%, that means 80% of the fuel you use is turned into heat, and the other 20% is lost through the exhaust.


New furnaces are given an Energy Star rating to show how efficient they are. The EPA evaluates these ratings to ensure they are accurate. The more stars a furnace has, the better the quality. New technology makes nearly all new furnaces more efficient than older models. However, the furnaces with the highest ratings will be more expensive.

The Types of Furnaces Today

There are four main types of furnaces available today:


The most common type of furnace is a gas furnace. Gas furnaces use a gas line to burn natural gas. This provides heat for the home. Gas furnaces are more efficient than oil furnaces and are less likely to break down. They are also less expensive to operate.


Oil furnaces burn oil to produce heat. This type of furnace is less common than gas furnaces. They are more expensive to operate and require more maintenance than gas furnaces.


Electric furnaces use electricity to produce heat. They are less common than gas furnaces. 


Propane furnaces use propane to produce heat. 


How to Determine the Best Type of Furnace for Your Home


To determine the best type of furnace for your home, you will need to consider the climate where you live, as well as your budget. If you live in a cold climate, a gas furnace is likely the best option, while an electric furnace may be a better choice if you live in a warmer climate.

The Bottomline

There are a few key standards that a new furnace needs to meet in order to be considered effective and safe. These include having an AFUE rating of 80% or higher, being certified by ENERGY STAR, and meeting minimum safety standards the U.S. Department of Energy set. 


While there are other factors to consider when purchasing a new furnace, such as size and price, these are the three most important standards to keep in mind. By making sure your new furnace meets these standards, you can be sure you’re getting a quality product that will save you money and keep your home warm and comfortable for years to come.


Are you looking for a trane furnace? Good Guys Home Services can connect you with technicians who can provide heating, air conditioning, and plumbing services. Book a same-day service or regular maintenance today. 


In just a few clicks, our app connects you to a local technician, and It makes it faster and easier to
book installations, same-day service repairs, maintenance appointments, view work history, and more.


These locations serves all the surrounding areas

Central Indiana

Westfield, Carmel, Noblesville, Fishers, Indianapolis, McCordsville, Greenfield, Greenwood, Martinsville, Avon Indiana 

Muncie Indiana

Muncie, Anderson, Daleville, McCordsville, Pendelton, Elwood, Lapel, Yoarktown, Indiana

The Villages Florida

The Villages, Ocala, Oxford, Summerfield, Belleview, Lake Weir

Good Guys Heating & Air Conditioning, LLC
617 Orchard Ln, Greenwood, In 46142 – Covering South Side of Indianapolis 

Good Guys Heating & Air Conditioning, Greenfield

Hamilton County, IN, USA, Johnson County, IN, USA, and 8 other areas

Good Guys Heating & Air Conditioning, LLC
15251 Smithfield Drive, Westfield, Indiana 46074 – Covering North Side of Indianapolis

Good Guys Heating & Air Conditioning, Mooresville

9500 N Glen Dr., Mooresville, IN
Covering South Side of Indianapolis, Martinsville, Franklin and surrounding areas

Good Guys Heating and Air Conditioning, Lafayette
Crawfordsville, IN 47933, USA, Thorntown, IN 46071, USA, and 7 other areas

Good Guys Heating and Air Conditioning, LLC

14216 W main st, Daleville, IN 47334

HVAC License: IN. HL2000005 & FL. #CAC1820149 ©2017-2020 Good Guys Home Services. All Rights Reserved.

Good Guys Home Services